Every fitness freak strives to achieve overall fitness but not all can do so. And only smart ones know how indispensable HIIT workouts are to achieve that supreme level of fitness. HIIT that employs sets of both intense and slow-pace exercises is one of the most efficient fitness programs to add to your arsenal. Whether you are trying to develop endurance and strength or simply wish to lose weight, a high-intensity workout will help you achieve all your fitness goals while keeping everything eminently interesting. If you are a neophyte who is starting out, here are the best HIIT workouts to begin with:
Best HIIT Workouts to Try for Overall Fitness
Albeit most of the HIIT exercises focus on building cardiovascular strength, you can add other exercises to target different muscle groups. Create the best high-intensity workouts by incorporating aerobic exercises along with resistance training and even flexibility exercises. Given below is the list of the best HIIT exercises for your gym or home HIIT workout:
- Knee Raises
- Leg Raises
- Calf Raises
- Jumping Jacks
- Mountain Climbers
- Butt Kicks
- Plyo Pushups
- Knee Hugs
- One-leg Deadlift Hops
- Plank Jacks
- Jump Squats
- Split Jump
Use these exercises to create your own high-intensity workout. Some of the best HIIT workouts you can try are presented below:
1. Abs High-Intensity Workout
The goal of this workout is to tone the abs. Include exercises that target the abdominal muscles such as crunches, Knee Raises, Sit-ups, Leg Raises, and Half Burpees. Add these HIIT exercises in one circuit and complete the circuit 4 times.
- Do 50-60 reps of traditional crunches.
- Follow with Reverse Crunch or Bicycle Crunch for a minute.
- Do 10 reps of Sit-ups.
- Perform 15 reps of Leg Raises or Knee Raises.
- Do 15 reps of Side Crunches (total 30).
- Relax while performing Half Burpees for 30 seconds.
2. 30/30 Full-Body Cardio Workout
Create high-intensity workouts that will involve cardio exercises and benefit your entire body. Each exercise involved in this workout has to be executed for 30 seconds. You will rest for 30 seconds before opting for the next move. Complete 5-6 rounds of this circuit to get your heart pumping efficiently.
- Begin by doing Butt Kicks for 30 seconds and then rest for the same amount of time.
- Do Plyo Pushups for 30 seconds and then rest for 30 seconds.
- Do Knee Hugs for 30 seconds and rest.
- Perform One-leg Deadlift Hops for 30 seconds and rest.
- Do Mountain Climbers x 30 and rest for 30 seconds.
- Perform Plank Jacks x 30 seconds and rest.
- Do Jump Squats x 30 seconds and rest.
- Do Split Jump x 30 seconds and rest.
- Take rest again for 30 seconds.
- After an interval of 30 seconds, move to the next circuit.
3. Lower-Body HIIT Workout
This is one of the most effective HIIT workouts for men and women who want to develop lower-body strength. The workout targets the legs, calves, glutes, hamstrings, and other major lower body muscles. Complete lower-body interval workout by completing the circuit 4 times and resting for a minute after every circuit.
- Start with Butt Kicks and do it for 30 seconds.
- Follow with Squat Jumps for 40-45 seconds.
- Do lunges x 10 per leg followed by Split Jump for 30 seconds.
- Do Calf Raises x 40 reps.
- Relax while doing the Bridge exercise for a minute.
4. Shoulder & Arm Interval Workout
You need to create HIIT workouts for men/women that solely target your shoulders and arms. Do that by picking your favourite exercises for shoulders, forearms, wrist, biceps, and triceps. Here is one shoulder & arm HIIT workout you can resort to:+
- Do Dumbbell Shoulder Press x 10 reps for 60 seconds.
- Follow it with 10 reps of Dumbbell Lateral Raise (60 seconds).
- Then perform Dumbbell Rear-Delt Raise for 60 seconds.
- Next, perform Dumbbell Shrug for 60 seconds.
- For biceps, do Dumbbell Curl for 60 seconds.
- Do Standing Cable Curl for 60 seconds.
- Perform Barbell Wrist Curl for 60 seconds.
- Do Lying Triceps Extension for 60 seconds.
- Rest for a minute or two before starting another round.
5. Jump Rope Interval Workout
Jump rope workout is a great at-home HIIT workout that involves jumping rope along with a handful of other exercises. This interval workout is great to tone your core muscles. Complete this circuit 5 times and rest for 60 seconds after every jumping rope session.
- Start with Mountain Climbers (50 reps).
- Perform traditional pushups (20 reps).
- Follow with Front Plank for 60 seconds.
- Jump rope for a minute.
- Rest for a minute before starting another circuit.
6. Battle Rope HIIT Workout
The battle rope is one of the best HIIT workouts for those who are looking for a fun way to exercise. Plus, it’s interesting and you can perform plenty of exercises or variations with it. Here are some exercises you can do with a battle rope.
Classic Battle Rope Workout
Exercises such as whipping the battle rope up and down, Battle rope Wave, and Battle Rope High Waves make for a classic battle workout. Adjust the height of the rope according to your preference. While doing high waves, perform alternating-arm motion to create large waves while being more upright with the torso. Try to fix your hips in this exercise and let your arms perform the motions.
Battle Rope Low Waves
This exercise is the opposite of Battle Rope High Waves. Here, you will keep your body closer to the floor while keeping your spine erect and perform most motions with your biceps. Make sure to bend your knees a bit and lean your body forward.
Do 10-20 reps of each exercise followed by 1-minute rest. Complete the whole workout in 20-30 minutes.
7. Strength Training HIIT Workout
This HIIT weight training workout combines resistance training exercises with different forms of conditioning. The workout is an amazing fit for fitness freaks who want to develop more muscle mass. Complete the circuit 7-8 times and make sure to increase the weights in the next session.
- Begin with Dumbbell Squat and Punch (20 reps) and rest for 20 seconds.
- Do Kettlebells Swings (both regular and alternate arm swings) for 30 seconds each.
- Again rest for 20 seconds and do Rotational Lunge using resistance bands (15 reps).
- Rest and then do Tire Flips for a minute.
- Do 10 reps of Dumbbell Overhead Press and rest.
8. Tabata Training
Also called the Tabata Protocol, this training aims to train all the energy systems. The reason to engage in this training lies in its work-to-rest ratio which is 20 seconds of exercise and 10 seconds of rest. This ratio allows you to get in shape while helping you build endurance.
Well, The Tabata Training is best done with the rowing machine, stationary bike, elliptical machine, Treadmill, Step mill, or Versaclimber. Such machines help you make the most of your cardio workout by recruiting a large part of your leg muscles.
- Warm-up for 2 minutes on the equipment at a moderate pace.
- Upon reaching 4 minutes, pedal at the highest speed for 20 seconds.
- Slow down by pedaling at a slow pace for the next 10 seconds.
- Repeat this cycle one more time.
- Once you have completed 2 intervals, reduce the tension to 0 and begin pedaling slowly and keep doing it for a minute or 2.
- Do a total of 8 rounds with 20-seconds of rest.
Tip: If you are a beginner, start with 5 cycles of each exercise rest for 30 seconds. Gradually shorten the rest period. Do this type of workout 2 times every week and take a full-day rest between every workout session to recover fully.
Try these HIIT workouts at home or gym for overall fitness. Choose your favourite workout and stick to it. The best is to try different workouts to keep your workout sessions exciting. And don’t forget to explore Health Leafs for more fitness tips!