Have you given up the temptation to lose weight? That too after coming across an inspiring yoga video on your favourite celebrity’s Insta reel? Well, you just need a bit of motivation and nothing else! We can’t deny the fact that losing stubborn body fat is no less than a mammoth task. But we also can’t ignore that yoga can help you achieve this goal without stressing your body much unlike those complex at-gym workouts. Yoga can also increase mindfulness, boost stamina, and combat stress. So, what are you waiting for? Simply take up yoga for weight loss and shake off that unwanted fat in no time.
How to Reduce Weight through Yoga?
To lose weight through yoga, you need to execute various yoga poses for weight loss as often as you can. The best is to do an active practice 4 days a week for about an hour. Complement yoga with other cardio exercises twice a week, such as running, biking, or jumping rope. Do take one day rest every week to relax and repair your muscles.
Best Yoga Poses for Weight Loss
Carry your yoga weight-loss session by incorporating these simple yet effective yoga poses or asanas into it.
- Virabhadrasana (Warrior Pose)
This pose has been designed to tone the shoulders and legs. It also boosts circulation and encourages good respiration. This yoga for weight loss also works effectively to give your entire body a good stretch.
How to Do:
- Stand straight on the ground with your legs 3 to 4 feet wide apart.
- Extend your left foot out to the left by 90 degrees and right foot 45 degrees to the left.
- Lift your arms parallel to each other with palms facing up.
- Breathe out as you bend the left knee such that the knee and ankle form a straight line.
- Turn your head and gaze at the left side.
- Stretch your arms a bit more while pushing the pelvis down.
- Breathe in and slowly lift yourself up.
- Breathe out and bring the hands down.
- Now, execute this pose with the right foot.
2. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Dog Pose)
This mild inversion of yoga for weight loss can provide exemplary results if you do it rightly. The Downward Dog Pose tones the entire body while enhancing concentrating power. This asana also strengthens oblique abdominal muscles, arms, thighs, and back.
How to Do:
- Get on your all fours such that your knees are underneath your hips and wrists beneath the shoulder area.
- Make sure your fingers point toward the front edge of the yoga mat.
- Keeping your elbows stretched and back relaxed, lift your hips and start to straighten the legs. Exhale while doing so.
- Keep lifting the pelvis toward the ceiling without locking the knees.
- Press down with your palms and heels.
- Broaden your collarbones by rotating your upper arms outwardly.
- Allow the shoulder blades to move towards the hips.
- Now engage the quadriceps and then rotate the thighs inward.
- Sink the heels toward the ground and gaze towards your belly.
- Hold the pose for a few seconds and while exhaling, bend the knees and bring the hands down to come to the original position.
3. Chaturangadandasana (Low Plank Pose)
Chaturangadandasana aka The Low Plank Pose recruits your abs, arms, wrists, and lower back. It targets the muscles of these body parts and eventually strengthens and tones them. This yoga asana is also a mood-changer and relieves stress in a jiffy. You are also sure to enjoy a better posture with this pose if you do it frequently.
How to Do:
- Begin this yoga for weight loss by getting into the plank position.
- Keep shoulders above the wrists and feet at hip distance apart.
- Bring your body into a straight line.
- Keep the toes touching the ground and hold for a minute.
4. Sethu Bandha Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose)
Designed to offer a cornucopia of health benefits, the Bridge Pose is great for weight loss, back pain, and digestion. It also strengthens the glutes, opens the shoulders and chest, and increases lung capacity What’s more? The asana even calms the mind and is therapeutic for those with thyroid and high blood pressure.
How to Do:
- Lie with your back on the ground with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. The feet should be hips-distance apart.
- Straighten your arms inside with palms facing down. Your fingertips can slightly touch your heels.
- Now while inhaling, press your feet on the ground and slowly lift the hips.
- Lift your chest while rolling the shoulders a bit. Your chin shouldn’t get down as you do this.
- Continue lifting the hips higher. Make sure your thighs are parallel.
- Hold for about 5 breaths.
- While exhaling slowly, lower your spine down to the ground.
5. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
If you are thinking “Can yoga help you lose weight with minimal effort?” let’s spill the beans. Bow Pose or Dhanurasana is a simple and easy yoga for weight loss that can tone your abdominal muscles quickly. It is efficacious enough to tone your back and chest muscles as well.
How to Do:
- Lie flat on your belly while keeping your chin on the yoga mat.
- While exhaling, start to bend your knees and bring them close to your buttocks.
- Hold your ankles while keeping the toes pointed.
- While inhaling, lift your heels and move them away from your buttocks while still holding your ankles.
- Also, lift your legs, chest, and head. Let only your core touch the yoga mat at this point.
- Deepen the stretch and open up your shoulders and chest a bit further.
- Hold the pose for a few seconds while looking straight.
- Exhale and release the pose.
6. Navasana (Boat Pose)
Just like the Bow pose, this yoga pose tones your abs and even stimulates the kidneys, intestines, and thyroid glands. The best part – it takes the least effort and offers a multitude of benefits. Isn’t that wonderful?
How to Do:
- Sit with both knees bent and feet flat on the ground.
- Raise your feet from the ground such the shins are parallel to the ground.
- As you try to achieve this Half Boat Pose, your torso will tend to fall back.
- Now stretch your legs outward such that they make V-shape with your upper body.
- Straighten your arms such that they are roughly parallel with the ground.
- Hold on for 5-8 breaths and then release the legs while exhaling.
- Inhale and lift yourself.
7. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
Reflecting the posture of a cobra, Bhujangasana aka Cobra Pose tones the abdomen like nothing else. It also strengthens the middle and upper back and shoulders. Many practitioners even claim that this asana can take the edge off fatigue and even relieve the symptoms of respiratory concerns.
How to Do:
- Lie on the ground on your belly with pointed toes.
- Keep both hands shoulder-distance apart while palms touching the ground.
- Touch your forehead to the ground at this point. Your legs should be close enough to keep heels slightly in contact with each other.
- While keeping elbows close to the torso, inhale and lift your core, chest, and head.
- Look toward the ceiling and try to curve your spine a bit more.
- While doing the stretch, put equal pressure on your palms.
- Hold this pose for 5 breaths.
- Exhale and bring your body down to the ground and relax.
Still wondering – “does yoga help in weight loss?” Have no inkling from now on. Cast off all your doubts and perform these yoga exercises for weight loss to see positive results in a month. Practice each asana frequently and 4-5 times every time. Do share your experience with us after a while. Keep exploring Health Leafs for more weight loss tips!